Friday, October 24, 2008

Living Green

Over the past year, I've really made an effort to live more "green." In many cases, it's not only great for the environment, but it's good for my health and pocketbook.

Here are some changes I've made:


  • Recycling plastic, aluminum, magazines and newspapers. Kansas is pretty sucky when it comes to recycling, so I'm only able to recycle #1 and #2 plastic.
  • Washing our clothes in cold water.
  • Using reusable canvas bags at the grocery store instead of plastic bags. Any plastic bags I do have, I use as trash bags.
  • Recycling yogurt, butter and Cool Whip tubs for Tupperware use.
  • Using earth and human friendly household cleaners from Method. I used to use Swiffer floor wet sheets, but now I use a washable microfiber sheet (also from Method).
  • Using dish towels to dry my hands in the kitchen instead of paper towels.
  • Unplugging appliances and turning off power cords when they're not in use.
  • Using only CFL light bulbs.
  • Reusing glass jars from spaghetti sauce and jam. I've used one as a vase and another as a button jar. I plan to use a lot of them to put nuts in as Christmas gifts.
  • Re-purposing old furniture.
My office is trying to go green, too, but most people don't care and continue to throw their recyclables in the trash can even though there's a recycling bin... RIGHT THERE!

No comments: